(Immigrant Services Guelph-Wellington)
|Impact Statement||Create social opportunities for newcomer families|
|Contact||Sreeja Venugopal, Volunteer Mobilizer, Immigrant Services Guelph Wellington; Phone: (519) 836-2222 ext 260; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Duties||• Determine the kind of support to be offered to the client family based on their needs. |
• Provide ongoing support through friendship, guidance and advice. For example, accompany the family to appointments, outings, cooking, shopping etc.
• Plan a fun activity together. For example, hiking, ice-skating, or the likes.
• Work with the partner family to set goals with them.
• Communicate with the Family Program Coordinator to monitor progress, provide information and make referrals if needed.
• Link families to the required resources such as schools, doctors, etc. and being mindful of the unique needs of each family.
• Support the partner family with informal language training
• Provide the meeting report to the Program Coordinator after each meeting.
|Benefits||• Have the opportunity to meet new families in your community |
• Gain experience in adult education and in teaching immigrants useful English
• Ability to showcase your capacity to work with an intercultural group of people
• Expand your knowledge of various cultures and backgrounds
• Be appreciated for all of your hard work and patience
• Build friendships
• Build your network and possibility to gain future reference if needed
|Clients||Newcomers and immigrants in Guelph-Wellington.|
|Ages||21 year(s) and up|
|Suitable For||Adults (18+) ; Seniors (55+) ; Couples ; Families|
|Areas of Interest||Group / Family Volunteering ; Newcomer Assistance|
|Skills/Experience||Communication & Interpersonal Skills ; Confidentiality ; Counseling & Support ; Mentoring & Training ; Self-Motivated / Work Independently ; Team Work ; • Clear, confident and fluent oral communication in English |
• Sensitivity to and understanding of the immigrant experience and challenges facing newcomers
• Demonstrated ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
• Warm and friendly demeanor and positive attitude
• Interest in building a relationship with a newcomer immigrant family
• Patient and punctual
• Self-directed and enthusiastic
• Excellent listening and communication skills
• Knowledge of any other language other than English would be an asset
• Comfort with handling children
|Commitment Length||Short Term (Up to 4 months) ; Short Term (Up to 4 months) - 2 hours per week for 12 weeks ; This is a program that runs all year around. The commitment will be up to 12 weeks min. to complete the process with 1 client family. The program will be starting at the convenience of the Host and the Client families.|
|Interaction Level||Small Group ; The two families will be the small group involved in the program, for various activities.|
|Minimum Hours||2 / Week|
|Dates and Times||Timing is flexible and is arranged on a mutually convenient basis, according to the schedules of the host and the partner families.|
|Accessibility||Unknown ; Dependent on the location. Usually, the families will meet at a public place, based on the activities that they will be participating in.|
|Number of Positions||Guelph |
6 individual(s) needed in total.
|Training||Orientation ; General Orientation session and agency tour. Volunteers must complete an application form and meet with the Volunteer Mobilizer for an interview and training prior to being matched.|
|Transportation||Locations vary depending on where the families would like to meet.|
|Application Deadline||30 Aug 2019|
|Social Media|| Facebook: www.facebook.com/ImmigrantServices|
|Start Date||On or after 24 Sep 2018|
|End Date||30 Aug 2019|
|Display Until||30 Aug 2019|
|[ More Agency Info | Other Opportunities | Suggest New Opportunity ]|
|Organization Name||Immigrant Services Guelph-Wellington|
|Address & Map|